Houston Plastic Surgeon Dr. Henry A. Mentz III, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
The American Board of Plastic Surgery
The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
The American Board of Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery)
Dr. Henry Mentz is an internationally-respected plastic surgeon who holds the distinctive honor of being the nation’s first triple-board certified plastic surgeon. He obtained triple board certification in Plastic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, and Head and Neck Surgery-Otolaryngology. Because of this, he is among the most well trained and sought after plastic surgeons for facial rejuvenation. He blends the specific techniques and skills of his respective board certifications to achieve remarkable, natural-looking results. Moreover, Dr. Mentz has received continuous, global recognition and numerous awards for his surgical expertise and innovative contributions to the field of aesthetic plastic surgery.
In a 2009 Goldline Research study which was featured in Forbes magazine, Dr. Mentz was listed as a leading plastic surgeon in the United States. His physician peers have continually nominated him as a “Top Doctor” in notable magazines such as H-Texas, Texas Monthly, and Health & Fitness. Dr. Mentz’s surgical expertise has garnered international attention and shared through his 150 plus contributions in presentations, books, and chapters.
Dr. Mentz uses a detailed and comprehensive approach to restore a youthful, fresh appearance to the face. His specialized method combines advanced lifting and tightening techniques with volume restoration to rebuild the youthful contours of the face through the use of stem-cell enriched grafts.
Furthermore, Dr. Mentz has made many contributions to the field of aesthetic plastic surgery. He invented the specialized liposuction techniques of Abdominal Etching® and Pectoral Etching® to give the abdominal and pectoral muscles a more defined, muscular appearance. To advance facial rejuvenation results through stem-cell enriched fat grafting, Dr. Mentz worked with one of the nation’s leading stem cell researchers to help with that innovation. Stem-cell enriched fat grafting is a volume replacement technique which may improve the skin’s tone and texture. His additional contributions include the development of a combined breast augmentation and breast lift procedure, the use of fat grafts to reduce the shoulder grooves created by bra straps, and the application of protocols to improve safety in the clinic and operating room.
- 1976-1980 Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Bachelor of Science Degree
- 1980-1984 Louisiana State University Medical School, New Orleans, Louisiana, Doctor of Medicine
- 1984-1986 Ochsner Foundation of New Orleans, General Surgery
- 1986-1989 Tulane University School of Medicine, Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery
- 1989-1991 St. Joseph Hospital of Houston, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- ASAPS Certification for Advanced Education in Cosmetic Surgery
- ASAPS-certified for Face and Body Aesthetic Surgery
- Certified for Microsurgical, Laser, Ultrasonic, and Endoscopic Surgery
- Specialized Training for BOTOX® Cosmetic, Restylane®, Juvederm®, Radiesse®, Isolagen® injectables
- Continuing research and education in aesthetic plastic surgery
Teaching and Research
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery, St. Joseph Hospital
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery Baylor College of Medicine
- Teaching staff, Operation San Jose. Cleft lip mission for underprivileged children with facial deformities
- ACPS Research Department with Plastic Surgeon Amado Ruiz-Razura, MD
- Contributor of more than 150 papers, presentations, and chapters for plastic surgery in the last 20 years
- Manages and funds the Mentz Foundation for medical and education missions
- Teaching a course on Three – Dimensional Body Contouring at the Annual ASAPS Meeting, 2009 – Present
- President, Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2001More than 150 articles, chapters, and presentations on liposuction, breast enhancement, and facial rejuvenation procedures
- American Medical Association – Physician Recognition Award
- American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF)-certified 1996
- Active on two breast implant research teams
- Lifetime appointment – Registered listed in Who’s Who in Medicine publication
- Lifetime appointment – Stratenburg’s Who’s Who
- Officer, Houston Society of Plastic Surgery
- Chief, Plastic Surgery Division, Sharpstown General Hospital, 1994 – 1996
- Laser Safety Officer, 1995 – 1996
- Listed in the ABMS Directory of Board Certified Medical Specialists
- Mortar Board Honor Society, LSU, 1980
- President, Senior Medical School Class, LSU, 1984
- Chief Resident, Tulane, Head and Neck Surgery, 1989
- Chief Resident, St. Joseph Plastic Surgery, 1991
- Officer, Ochsner Resident Program
- Aesculapian Honor Board, LSU Medical Board
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS)
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ISAPS)
- American Society of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASFPRS-past member)
- Lipoplasty Society of North America (past member)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery (AAOHNS-past member)
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Fellow, International College of Surgeons (FICS)
- The American Medical Association
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Texas Medical Association
- Louisiana Medical Association –past member
- Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons –past president 2000-2001
- Harris County Medical Society
Unique Credentials / Medical Acknowledgements
- First plastic surgeon in the nation to receive triple board certification
- Authored a chapter featured in Facelifts, Liposuction, Etching, Fat Metabolism, and Safety
- Authored a chapter in a book that features the leading facial plastic surgeons in the world, Dissecting the Facelift, 2016
- Contributed to more than 150 papers and presentations for plastic surgery in the last 20 years
- Voted “Best Doctor” for Plastic Surgery by Best Doctors®.
- Selected as one of “America’s Top Plastic Surgeons” 2008 by the Consumers’ Research Council of America.
- Selected as a “Super Doc” by Texas Monthly® Magazine
- Named as a “Top Doctor” in Plastic Surgery 2003 – 2010, Inside Houston Magazine, H Texas Magazine
- Listed as a “Top Doctor” in Plastic Surgery 2013 – Present, Houstonia® Magazine
- Founding partner of the largest private aesthetic surgery practice in Texas
- Featured surgeon in local and national media: magazines, papers, television, and radio broadcasts
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Plastic Surgery at Baylor and St. Joseph
- Active on breast implant and stem cell research teams
- Provides reconstructive plastic surgery and support to children living in underdeveloped countries
- Lifetime appointment to the publications “Who is Who in Medicine,” and “Who is Who in America”
- Trained with inventors of the breast implant, Dr. Tom Cronin and Dr. Frank Gerow
- Trained with the first physician to perform liposuction in the United States, Dr. Simon Fredericks
- Trained with the inventor of Structure Rhinoplasty, Dr. Calvin Johnson
- Lead surgeon for the worldwide leader in breast implants, MENTOR
- Presentation at Kyoto, Japan for ISAPS, 2016
Body Contouring Contributions
- Invented the Abdominal Etching® liposuction technique to improve muscular definition of the abdomen, 1992. Published “Abdominal Etching, Liposculpture of the Six Pack,” in 1993.
- Body contouring using liposuction, 1995, 1996, 1999
- Invented “Modified Abdominal Etching” for the athletic appearance of the abdomen, presented in 1995.
- Improved Safety in Large-Scale Liposuction Procedures, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2006
- Invented the Pectoral Etching® liposuction technique to create a male pectoral muscle definition, 2004 and published in 2007.
- Invented the new “Single Puncture Gynecomastia Reduction,” to eliminate visible scarring, 2004 and published in 2007
- Increased Safety in Private Surgery Centers, 2001
- Introduced the use of fat grafts to erase bra strap grooves, 2004 and published in 2007.
- Published methods on improving and reducing recovery pain for the tummy tuck procedure. “Local Anesthetic Pain Pumps in Abdominoplasty,” 2004
- Presented a safer approach for Breast Lifts with Implants, 2007
- Active in ongoing research on stem cells and liposuction
- Introduced fat grafting for advanced scleroderma disease, the stem cell advantage, 2006
Facial Refinement Contributions
- Elegance in Structure Rhinoplasty, presented in 1992
- No Scar Weekend Facial Rejuvenation, presented in 1996
- New Endoscopic Approaches to Facelifts, presented in 1997
- Minimal Incision Facelift, “The Cutting Edge,” presented in 1999
- Youthful Eyes with Scarless Procedures, presented in 2001
- Improved Facelift Strategies, Better SMAS Lifting, published in 2004
- Instructor for international courses on facelifts, neck lifts, and brow lifts, 2004
- Research for Isolagen® injectables to diminish wrinkles, presented in 2004 and 2005
- Introduced the “Liquid Facelift,” a non-surgical method of rejuvenating the face, achieved by combining BOTOX® Cosmetic, Restylane®, and Radiesse® in 2005
- Aesthetic Center for Plastic Surgery – Surgery Center
- St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital
- Memorial Hermann, Memorial City Hospital
- Columbia Woman’s Hospital of Texas Bayou City
- Bayou City Medical Center Bellaire Medical Center
- Christus St. Joseph Hospital
- Spring Branch Hospital
Publications, Presentations and Book Chapters
Dr. Mentz has contributed to more than 150 articles, chapters, and presentations at national and international plastic surgery meetings for plastic surgeons in the past 20 years. Highlights include:
Maximizing Facelift Results. Dr. Mentz created this specialized technique to lift the midface soft tissues, the jowls, and cheek fat, and to restore a more youthful contour to the cheek and jawline. He has taught at national and international meetings on brow lifts, face and neck lifts. Dr. Mentz has presented in various locations such as Houston, Austin, Mexico City, Cancun, Monterrey, Colombia, and Vancouver and published in 2004. He authored a chapter on facelifts in the textbook, Operative Plastic Surgery, in 2001.
Liquid Facelifts. Injectables including BOTOX®, Restylane®, Juvederm®, Radiesse®, fat and topical creams can be combined to create a rejuvenated look. This technique was presented in Dallas, Puerto Vallarta, Saudi Arabia, India, Guatemala, Bangkok, Vera Cruz, Seville, and Chile.
Fat Grafts and Stem Cells. Dr. Mentz has assisted or developed groundbreaking procedures using fat grafts and stem cells, an exciting new area of plastic surgery that contains much potential. These include fibroblast injections for wrinkle reduction, fat grafts to increase roundness and fullness in the buttocks, fat grafting to erase bra strap shoulder grooves, fat and stem cell grafting to make improvements in the skin of scleroderma patients, and using fat grafts to renew the face. He has presented his research nationwide in Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Philadelphia, and internationally in Mazatlan, Guatemala, Buenos Aires, Lima, Valencia, Shanghai, Bangkok, and Saudi Arabia. There were related publications in 2004, 2006, and 2007.
Abdominal Etching. In 1993, Dr. Mentz created this innovative procedure which uses liposuction to sculpt an athletic six-pack appearance in the abdominal area. This has been presented in Houston, New York City, San Diego, New Orleans, Guatemala, Grand Cayman, Paris, Seville, Rio de Janeiro, Lima, Puerto Vallarta, and Saudi Arabia. Published in 1993.
Male Body Contouring. Dr. Mentz continues his ongoing research on refining male body contouring procedures through new liposculpting techniques. He has presented in Houston, Philadelphia, Honolulu, Vera Cruz, and Valencia. Article was published in 2006, and the chapter was published in 2007. Dr. Mentz invented the Pectoral Etching technique to define male pectoral muscles through the use of liposculpture. Presentations were conducted in San Antonio, Guadalajara, Buenos Aires, and Mazatlan. Published in 2007.
Smallest Scar Gynecomastia Removal. A procedure developed for men to remove enlarged breasts. Presented in Houston, Mexico City, Mazatlan, Buenos Aires, Colombia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, and China. The chapter was published in 2007.
New Liposuction Techniques. Through the development of new techniques and his ongoing research, Dr. Mentz continues to advance liposuction technology. His work has been presented in Houston, Boston, Orlando, Cancun, Buenos Aires, Paris, Vienna, Sevilla, Saudi Arabia, and India.
Reduced Pain and Recovery for Tummy Tucks. Dr. Mentz was the first surgeon to publish research on a method to reduce pain during recovery after the tummy tuck procedure. The solution was the use of a local anesthetic device. His research was presented in Vienna, Chicago, Saudi Arabia, Vera Cruz, New Orleans, India, Guadalajara, Guatemala, Philadelphia, Austin, Houston, Colombia, and Canada. Published in 2004.
Safety in Aesthetic Surgery. Dr. Mentz and his colleagues at ACPS place importance on patient safety through the application of standards that increase safety in the operating room and recovery. Being an active member on several Houston inspection teams, Dr. Mentz has developed safety strategies, provided oversight at the ACPS SurgiCentre and other facilities.
Breast Implants. Dr. Mentz closely worked with the inventors of the breast implants. He gained invaluable insights and knowledge through training with them. Studies presented in Mexico City and Buenos Aires.
Leading the Country. The Aesthetic Center for Plastic Surgery (ACPS) has dedicated its focus on researching and applying methods to improve plastic surgery and ensuring safety and comfort for all patients. Its innovative research, methods, and expertise have garnered international attention from the medical professionals.
My MediSpa is a partnership between Dr. Mentz, his Aesthetic Trained Family Nurse Practitioner Renee Arriaga, and several Houston facilities. Dr. Mentz and Renee provide cosmetic injectable services in a spa setting at several Houston locations. Both Dr. Mentz and Renee are certified and trained to provide injectables including BOTOX® Cosmetic, Restylane®, Juvederm®, and Radiesse®. Treatments are administered in the calm and soothing surroundings of either Dr. Mentz’s Added Touch Medical Spa or at one of the partner locations. Through the Mentz Foundation, a portion of the profit is shared to support children living in impoverished regions.
To schedule your consultation with Dr. Mentz, call his office at 713.799.9999.